Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thing #2 What is Library 2.0?

Library 2.0 is a term used to describe a new set of concepts for developing and delivering library services. There was a lot of reading involved in this "thing". I liked the statement from Blyberg's blog that said "The basic drive is to get people back into the library by making the library relevant to what they want and need in their daily lives." There are a lot more things out there competing with libraries for the public's time and attention than there used to be!

I was amused the other day by a poster from the Bakken Museum that said something like "Imagine a World Without Cell Phones, Microwaves, or the Internet!" Oh, dear..........That really made me feel like an antique! I grew up in the 60's--there were no cell phones, microwaves, computers, videos, DVDs, etc. There were only 5 TV channels! The library was a place where you went to check out books, and do research for school assignments. My, how things have changed! One of the reasons I am participating in this program is to familiarize myself with some of the changing technologies that the younger generation has embraced so effortlessly.

Last year we upgraded from dial-up to DSL at home, and I have found that I use the internet a lot more than I used to. It's so fast and easy to look up information on-line. I will probably be doing my 23 things from home, as things are usually too busy at work to spend a lot of time at the computer.

I liked the video from Stephen Abrams (hard to watch at first--load 30 seconds, play 30 seconds, load 30 seconds, play 30 seconds..........) Finally I just ignored it until the end when it was all loaded and "rewound the tape" to listen. Two things stood out to me--that hands-on experience is essential to understand and learn how the various web tools work, and that as adults, we not only have to "do" the things, we also need to stop and reflect on what we have done in order for it to "sink in" and complete the learning process. Blogging seems to help with the "reflecting" part.



No comments: