Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thing #17 ELM Productivity Tools Part 1

I had no idea that there were so many databases available! I have used Ancestry.com and AllData quite a bit, but the ELM is new to me. This is a great resource that most people probably don't even know about. Searching for magazine articles in an online database is great--I remember the "olden days" searching in the Readers Guide for an article, finally locating the magazine on the shelf, and then finding that someone had cut the article that I wanted out of the magazine! Having magazines & newspapers archived online is a wonderful idea, and will ensure that the articles are easily accessible when they are needed.

#1. Infotrack Student Edition--I searched for "Youth Smoking" and found over 700 articles. I tried to set up an RSS feed, but Google Reader would not accept the Feed URL. So-- I did another search on "Online Games" instead, using Infotrack/General Science (another Gale database). This time the RSS worked and I was able to add a search alert to my list of feeds. Infotrack Student Edition is easy to use, and would be very helpful for students who need to find magazine articles for school assignments.

No comments: