Friday, March 21, 2008

Thing #20 Libraries and Social Networks

I elected to explore MySpace, because I didn't have to sign up for an account to have access to the site. I really don't need to be part of another online social network--I joined the 23 Things Ning a few weeks ago and that is enough for me. I was surprised by the number of libraries using this site. I looked at pages from both public and college libraries. The group "Libraries on My Space" has 391 members, and the ALA page lists 4,746 friends! Libraries included book reviews, YouTube videos, contests, blogs, groups to join, etc, on their pages, as well as access to the library catalog and reference services. The LA Public Library offered a database "Learning Express" to help students prepare for exams. Two of my favorite MySpace pages are those from the Charlotte/Mecklenburg Library and The College of St Catherine Library . By having a My Space page, libraries can reach out to teens and make the library seem more relevant to them.

No comments: