Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thing #17 ELM Productivity Tools Part 2

More "Fun With Databases"

2. Academic Search Premier - I did the challenge on this one, because it made more sense to me to do a search and add articles to my folder before creating a web page--then I would have something to put on my page! I did a search for "Kindle", which is the name of Amazon's new electronic book that was recently released. I used the Page Composer to create my web-site, added several of the articles from my folder, and named my site "Kindle vs Real Books". Is it really possible to curl up with a good eBook? Once I find the time to read my articles, I'll know more.

3. ProQuest Newsstand Complete - I did the search, refined it as directed, and created another web page. This database is useful if you are looking for newspaper articles. I liked the way you could refine your search to specific dates and newspapers. The number of papers included in this database is staggering! They have everything from the Washington Post to the Taranaki Daily News from New Zealand!

4. NetLibrary - Very interesting--- a database of e-Books! If you don't want to spend $399.00 on a Kindle from Amazon, you can still read electronic books on your own computer screen, using this database. Entire books are available here online, and you have the ability to search their content and create notes, too. After I did the assignment on the "101 Ways to Promote your Web Site", I did some searching on my own and found some great books. I even started reading one of them, but after a few pages, I decided to check out the "real" version instead and take it home to finish it. E-Books would be a great way for publishers to allow readers/selectors to preview new books, and would also be a way to preserve the content of old, fragile books or those that are out of print.



No comments: