Sunday, February 17, 2008

Thing #11 Tagging and Social Bookmarking

Tagging was easy--I've used it before in LibraryThing. The concept of social bookmarking was new to me, though. Signing up for Del.icio.us was a challenge, as Firefox refused to allow me to install the necessary buttons on my toolbar. They installed into my Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, and I have to open the folder to use them, but at least they work. I bookmarked several sites, and searched by tag to find some other sites similar to them. This would be a useful tool for someone who is doing research and needs to keep track of information on a lot of different websites. It would also be great for doing online comparison shopping (cars, hotels, etc) and for organizing and saving recipes. If you put your most frequently used sites on Del.icio.us, you can access them anywhere from any computer. I found the Library Del.icio.us sites that I looked at to be somewhat confusing. Their featured websites are organized according to when they were bookmarked. If I just wanted to browse what was new or popular, this would probably be OK, but if I really needed information on a topic, there would be better places to go.

No comments: