Friday, February 29, 2008

Thing #14 Library Thing

This site is amazing! It's my favorite "thing" so far. I've been playing around with it now for a couple weeks - so far I've entered everything from my personal bookshelf in our home office, (only about 170 books or so). I just may have to get one of those lifetime memberships..... I've enjoyed looking at other members' personal libraries, author clouds, tag clouds, etc. Since I am a very visual person, I really like being able to have a picture of each book cover along with its description. By clicking on a book in my library, I can find out how many other members own it, see its tag cloud, read reviews, and get recommendations from LibraryThing on similar books I might enjoy. You can even click on the "Unsuggester" and it will tell you books to avoid. I tried this just for fun with one of my books, "The Complete Chronicles of Narnia" and was very surprised by the results--there were SEVENTEEN knitting books on the list! Since I enjoy both knitting and Narnia, and have even read some of the listed knitting books, I thought this was really funny. There are lots of possibilities for libraries to use this tool on their websites. We could highlight newly published books, local authors, award winners, best sellers, etc. We could even promote LibraryThing as a way for patrons to keep track of the books they have read.

1 comment:

La-la said...

I am with you, I love Librarything. Have you joined Librarians who Blog? It is funny to read some of the comments. I also went so far as to purchase a scanner, so if you ever want to borrow it to add books, let me know. It works fast.